Thursday, July 5, 2012

Canada Day 2012 - standing on guard

A little late, I know, but last Sunday was Canada Day. So much was going on. There were booths and tents set up along the Riverfront bike path, at Fort Calgary, in Olympic Plaza, and, of course, at Prince's Island Park.

I spent most of the day at Prince's Island, which wasn't as crowded as I expected, unless you were trying to cross the main foot bridge from Eau Claire. The entertainment was great. Dan the One Man Band was there with material that included spoofing the Biebs and a skit with stuffed Shrek and Donkey. Also saw Wakefield Brewster MCing the songwriters stage.

Thought I was in for a treat when the Plaid Tongued Devils appeared on the main Enmax stage schedule. But as these things happen, I was more impressed with the band that came before them, The Collective. Sure they had the advantage of youth, they looked out of high school, but they not only played well, but performed well, too. The exciting newness of performing was still with them. I hope to see them play again, probably at another venue where oldies like me can enjoy music like theirs while standing beside little ones and teens.

This wasn't my photo of the day, but it has a little story. The lad's task was to hold this huge Canada flag. He saw a bunch of us photographers trying to get the perfect shot of him, but there was no wind. He was a bit exasperated on our behalf. But then the breeze picked up, the flag lifted, he was super pleased, and I got my shot.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment