Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Carifest 2012 - Parade

Carifest 2012 - Parade by Wanderfull1
Carifest 2012 - Parade, a photo by Wanderfull1 on Flickr.

Just discovered that this photo is on the Carifest 2013 posters and banners. This was one of a bunch of shots I donated to the Carifest people from last year's free Carifest parade and Sunshine Festival. 

I actually walked past the banners twice on Stephen Avenue during my lunch break yesterday (which shows only the girl on the left) and didn't realize that the photo was mine.  It wasn't until a photographer friend commented on the Flickr photo being a "nice shot" that it twigged that it looked familiar.  I went to the Carifest web site and there it was.  Had to tell everyone I know, of course.  No one's asked yet if I was paid, but I'm sure someone will.  (They did when Reggae Fest published a photo of mine in Stephen Avenue Magazine.) Which begs the question, which is more important public exposure or money.  

If I didn't already have a day job that paid well I would probably say money.  Then again, maybe I would be able to call myself a professional photographer.  From what I understand, you're not a professional anything until you are paid.

On the other hand, I can't deny the warm fuzzy feeling I get knowing that hundreds of people will see my photo on the banners downtown and maybe the posters.  Sure, no one (except people I tell) will know that I took the photo. Still, just the thought that someone might think it's a cool shot feels nice.  Is it artistic pride?  Dunno.  But there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment