Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Pride 2016



Extra hours at work and a fractured wrist at the beginning of August put a bit of a kabosh on my photography this summer.  Or at least a crimp.  What photography done was done with one hand and with the Canon G15 point & shoot.

Except for Pride.

Capturing the action with my point & shoot was going to be frustrating, so I had to go with the DSLR. Still, with a cast on my left arm, shooting with my usual 18-135mm lens was going to be problematic. So it had to be a prime lens... and only one.  I decided to go with the 50mm and crop what I had to.  Interestingly, I didn't have to crop much.

This year's Pride had more banks, more politicians, the usual church groups, and... Star Wars Storm-troopers, Jawas, and sand people. Oh, and lots of dogs!  I actually got pup-kissed (nose to nose) by a young husky when I knelt down to take her photo.

This year I initially positioned myself at the beginning of the parade, behind the Glenbow Museum.  Great for crowd shots, but unfortunately I kept getting caught in the crush of people diving to get swag.  And there was a lot of swag.  Once the parade had past, I ran ahead to get more shots.



The gorgeous background is the south wall of the Glenbow Museum.  Best photography rule ever: Turn around!



While racing to get to Shaw Millennium Park for the festival I happened upon some people I know from work.

Emily & Luke
Tammy
The festival was a bit different this year with less drag and more family and dance stuff.  Even Premier Rachel Notley, decked out in funky boots, rainbow tights and boas, did a little dance on stage when she finished her speech.








Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment