Saturday, February 22, 2014

Shooting in Auto Mode

thoughtful by Wanderfull1
thoughtful, a photo by Wanderfull1 on Flickr.
It's been a long, wicked cold winter. Or maybe I'm just feeling the cold more. The desire to go out and take street shots has been minimal.

Still, there's a need to take a photo of something. So, much as Kit hates the camera, she's the most interesting person near me.

Photo instructors will tell you to not shoot in Automatic mode. Since I usually shoot in every mode, except Auto, I decided to see what the big huff was about. Also, I wanted to just compose without thinking about settings. I can't speak for all cameras, but with the Pentax K-5 the White Balance is not great and not adjustable in Auto mode. (For instance, everything has an orange hue when shooting with tungsten light.) Then again, I've read that the K-5 has WB issues in any mode. Which is why I patiently wait for the K-3 to come down in price.

While it's kind of nice to not have to figure out the technical stuff to get the shot, I'm thinking I will continue to choose Program (P) mode, where I can adjust everything or nothing, over Auto mode.


No comments:

Post a Comment