Thursday, June 25, 2015

Calgary Community Services Guide

At the beginning of May I was hit with a wicked bronchitis-laryngitis, and possibly flu, combination.  Two months later bits of it linger.  Occasionally my voice squeaks like a teenage boy.

During my convalescence I received an email request from the City of Calgary.

Turns out someone from the City was trolling Flickr and came across a photo I took five years ago with my first digital point and shoot.  At the time I didn't really know what I was doing as far as composition goes.  Plus I was just beginning to feel comfortable with my little Canon G10.


The City employee asked if they could use it for the 2015 Calgary Community Services Guide and they were willing to pay!  At first I thought it was a scam, but I took it on faith and it turned out to be legitimate.  Within a month I received ten copies of the Calgary Community Services Guide, with my photo on the cover, and a check to Wanda Martin Photography for $50.


The bank was a little uncertain about cashing it, since I did not have a business account. I explained that I wasn't a business and that it was payment for one photo.  Since it was only $50 the bank figured it was okay to cash the check, but suggested that I might consider registering as a business if I started making anything substantial.  Once again I'm considering taking photography business course at SAIT.

Still, earning $50 in five years... not giving up the day job any time soon.

But, warm fuzzies... still priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment