Thursday, December 10, 2015

November Catch Up


    Remember, remember!
    The fifth of November,
    The Gunpowder treason and plot;
    I know of no reason
    Why the Gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot!


Early in November, Guy Fawkes day to be exact, a small Anonymous group gathered for a Million Mask March through downtown Calgary. None were deterred by the freak snow storm that whipped through the opening rally.  Although some SAIT journalism students did not seem happy about the turn in the weather.  They reminded me of when I was a journalism student. I still rue the day that I dropped out to join the working world. SAIT has a photo journalism program, now. Maybe someday I'll go back, if they'll have an old lady.





Remembrance Day was a bigger event than usual only because I made the effort to get out there. November 10th, I went to a sunrise ceremony at the Memorial Drive Field of Crosses and then on November 11th I went to the ceremony at Central Memorial Park.

Had to smile at some of the overheard comments.  One old veteran, waiting to perform at the sunrise ceremony, was unsure about how they were to go about raising the various flags and asked his colleague, "So what's the drill?"  After the Remembrance Day ceremony at Memorial Park I overheard a young boy thank an old veteran for fighting in the war.  The veteran laughed and gave the boy a high-five.



 


Later in November the National Music Centre and the Calgary Public Library partnered to host a "Teen Open Mic Night" at the downtown Central branch.  There were only three kids playing and about a half a dozen people watching, but I think everyone had fun.
 
Skylar

Jeremy

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment