Sunday, September 30, 2012

Calgary 2012 - CBC Concert - The Dudes3

Saturday was totally insane, but I wouldn't have changed it for the world. In one day I lip dubbed with a couple hundred people," fell in lust with a country singer, and got caught in a mosh-pit. It was all part of Culture Calgary's Calgary 2012 celebrations.

The day started at City Hall where I and a few colleagues from work volunteered to lip dub to Calgary's theme song, the Stampeders' "Sweet City Woman." It was 5 1/2 hours of rehearsal, waiting, more rehearsal, waiting, filming, waiting, more filming, and the grand finale where we sort of got to see what we did (the setting sun was shining on the screens). And then went home with a t-shirt and a smile on my face.

Afterwards, I went to the free CBC concert. Now I should've done the responsible older person thing and gone home. Instead, I fell in lust with the lead singer to the northern Alberta country band, High Valley. I don't like country much, but these guys look like firefighters. Too gorgeous to be real, but there they were. The second act, Samantha Savage Smith had absolutely nothing savage about her and almost put me to sleep. Then came The Dudes.

A guy at work asked what kind of band The Dudes were. I knew they played rock and were very popular, and I confused them with another band I heard a while back, so I said they were a pop rock group. Man, was I so-o-o wrong. They're hard-core rock. More intelligent than heavy metal, but the grunge was there. Actually, I should've listened to the young woman who told the Asian fellow standing beside me with his four year old daughter that the dancing could get "weird" and that standing up front against the barrier might not be safe. Once the band got going the audience went wild and I was pretty much pinned to the barrier. Literally. Totally squished! Part of me is thinking staying was a really bad idea, but the photographer me was totally grooving on the front-man who loves cameras.

I'd do it all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment