Saturday, May 11, 2013

protest against Taliban in Pakistan

Last Saturday, a small group of demonstrators near Olympic Plaza hoped to influence the leadership elections being held in Pakistan on May 11th. Apparently there are 129 registered political parties in Pakistan. Liberal parties such as the MQM (Muttahida Quami Movement) are under bomb attack from extremists and the Taliban. Many consider the MQM party the "last line of defense to make Pakistan a democratic and civilized society instead of another Afghanistan."  According to theBBC over 100 people have been killed in the run up to the election.  Military are positioned at polling booths in response to threats of Taliban suicide bombers interfering.

I discovered this group after work, on my way home. After two hours, some voices were a little raspy.

I can't say that I'm knowledgeable about the issues, but I felt compelled to take photos. At work someone asked me if I just take photos or do I also join the demonstrations. It's a bit of both, I guess. If I feel something or understand the issue (like Earth Day, Idle No More, and International Women's Day) then I will join. Otherwise, I'm just a photographer.

Links:
* Muttahida Qaumi Movement (Wikipedia)
* Muttahida Quami Movement organization site
* MQM Canada
BBC News

No comments:

Post a Comment