Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Baby sparrow rescue

"Help!"

Feeling kind of like a super hero at the moment.  One of the baby House Sparrows fell (or maybe got pushed -- could be a sibling plot) out of its nest. However it got there, the little fella was on the ground, peeping its little beak off.
  
The sparrow trio had been beaking-off all afternoon for food, so I really didn't pay any attention until I noticed my cat was no longer snoozing on the patio chair.  A quick check to make sure she hadn't wrapped her leash around a planter found her hunkered in the lawn, riveted to something in the grass.  I quickly reeled Kit into the apartment and then grabbed my camera (of course). 

"Who are you?"

I whipped off a few photos, then looked around for a parent.  When I didn't see any around, out getting food no doubt, I decided that if I was quick I could pop the noisy little thing back into the tree hole with mom and dad none the wiser.  I dashed for a pair of cotton gloves and a step ladder.  

I had just set up the ladder when I heard a voice from the other side of the fence ask, "Whatcha doin'?"  It was a friend on her way home from work.

"Rescuing a bird," I replied, then waved for her to come into the yard to see. 

"What are you doing?"

Slowly, I tried to pick up the little gaffer, talking to it softly.  Mostly I was saying repeatedly, "Don't bite, don't bite."  I managed to cup it in two hands without squishing it and then slowly climbed the ladder; barefoot, in a long skirt.

At this point I was so glad my friend just happened by, because by quickly holding the ladder she saved both me and the tweeter from a fall.  Gotta love synchronicity!!

So I popped the little guy into the tree hole, gave a little victory cheer, put the ladder back, and waited to see if the daddy sparrow noticed junior had a little adventure.  Daddy bird did go in and out of the hole a couple times, chirping softly.  Then he flew off to get more grub.  

Now the little ones are back to their "feed me" ruckus.  It looks like everything will be okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment