Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Getting to know Lana

Confession - since well before Kit passed away, probably during the year she was ill, I really did not feel like taking photos.  There was nothing interesting or compelling about the festivals or street images around me. After she died I stopped doing volunteer photography for non-profit organizations. My heart wasn't into it.

After Kit died it was an effort to take my camera out.  I even tried buying a new camera, thinking to spark the creative juices with a new learning experience. Not a good idea. I understood that I needed time to grieve, but I couldn't show that grief in my photos. I didn't know how.

Well, there was that time with the squirrels and the birdfeeder, but that joy was short lived come spring when I had to bleach their pee off my patio furniture.


I'm still not doing the people-thing at festivals, protests, or on the street much. (Or the squirrels.) Not as much as I was. Seen it. Done it. Not interested. Except maybe when I don't have a camera on me, of course. What photos I have taken seem blah.

It's not that I haven't tried, though. The two community events I dropped in on were more self-promotion for local business; one winter doo was for a dance school and the other (a supposed flea market) was for two Asian restaurants that just opened.

Even the Kensington Fantasy Faire I attended last Sunday was a dud. I got there just after 2:00 thinking lots of fantasy and a faire.  Added with the big success they had with their previous Diagon Alley events = big fun, big crowds, lots of cosplay, right? Nope. There was not much in the way people participating or entertainment. A couple buskers, a warrior woman sword fighting with Beetlejuice, a couple wacking each other with padded clubs while balancing on a two by four, and what looked like tables set up to do Beakerhead science projects. Didn't see any quidditch games - maybe they ended early because of the heat (+31). Not many local businesses really got involved, either. Big meh!

And I missed a powwow!! Double crap!!

Parked and the non-parks.

Magic, muggles, and music at the Kensington Fantasy Faire, Sunday, July 29, 2018.

Since meeting Lana I'm back to taking my camera out almost every day. Lana sleeping. Lana eating. Lana looking really fat. Lana playing. Lana stretching like she's trying to look skinny. Lana with her wacky eyes. And of course, Lana looking cute. Not all of them work out. For a chunky kitty, she can really move fast.

Who knows maybe eventually I'll get back into the other stuff if the other stuff is worth doing.

But right now I'm getting to know Lana. And annoying her and probably everyone who visits my Flickr page and this blog.






No comments:

Post a Comment