Thursday, March 4, 2010

Black History Month - Shades of Black party

Jen Kunlire and Scotty HillLast Saturday (February 27th), I was invited to take photos at the Collectively Eclectic "Legacies: Shades of Black" party held downtown at the Chinese Cultural Centre. Collectively Eclectic has been putting on Legacies events to celebrate Black History since 2008. This was my first. It gave me an excuse to buy a new outfit. It also gave me a chance to give my new DSLR camera a good run; although I was glad I also brought my little Canon Powershot.

"Shades of Black" was a night of music, art, fashion, theatre, comedy, poetry, dance, and partying to celebrate Black History month. There was a buffet of various kinds of food I'd never tried before. Loved the fried plantain. Yum!
Rosa Parks
Interesting side entertainment included models dressed as prominent people in history. Included were
Malcolm X, Josephine Baker and Rosa Parks, a young Michael Jackson look-a-like and Dr. Anderson Abbott, a Canadian civil war military doctor.

The evening's entertaining hosts were Ify Chiwetelu, local poet and a founding member of Collectively Eclectic, and Calgary stand up comedian, Rock Di (aka Daniel Tseday). The event took place at the Chinese Cultural Centre, Saturday, February 27, 2010.

The photos I took are posted to my Flickr set:
Black History Month 2010 - Shades of Black. Also see photos of the Black History : Spoken World event held at the downtown Central Calgary Public Library.